Thursday, January 19, 2012

An Organized Laundry Room

Here is how I have organized my Laundry Room. Maybe you can pick up some ideas from the following pictures and comments. 
 (above) Here is the overall look of the laundry room.  What works for me is to always keep a garbage can close to empty the lint trap.  Always keep a laundry basket on top of the dryer to throw in dirty towels and rags.  I keep the laundry soap, fabric softener, and bleach right on the back of the machine.  (Some day I will have a shelf mounted there)  This room used to have two sets of cabinet doors.  I took off the doors on the second cabinet and put in baskets instead.  This allowed me to mount a rod across the room to hand dry items on hangers.  I also have a drying rack for smaller items like bras and tights etc.
 (above) Inside the first set of cupboard doors I have these bins I re purposed from my children's toys when they were young.  I don't care about them matching or looking pretty because they are behind the closed doors.  On the bottom shelf I store batteries, flashlights, and surplus cleaning supplies.  The middle shelf has one bin of pillar candles and the other bin is full of taper and votive candles.  The top shelf has one bin full of cookie cutters, the cookie press, and tart cups.  The other bin on the top shelf is cake decorating supplies.  I know you might be thinking it is weird to store those kitchen items in my laundry room.  I only take those down one or two times a year so there was no point taking up room in my kitchen for those items. 
 (above) This is the side over the dryer and the drying rack.  The bottom shelf first basket I pull out all the time.  In it I have almost everything I need to clean the house but nothing more.  Glass cleaner, wood polish, leather conditioner, Swiffer dusters, Soft Scrub. Fabreze, sponges and scrub brushes.  I just grab this basket and carry it from room to room.

The second basket has large rags (old bath towels) and the third basket on that bottom row is the small rags (old wash cloths)

The middle shelf has a basket for rain ponchos, a basket for sun screen & bug repellent and a basket for swim goggles and masks and snorkels.

The top shelf has a wood box with all my shoe polish and a change box I use for garage sales. This top shelf is way above my reach so only things I almost never use go up there.
Here is another view of the dowel I installed to hang dry clothes on.  I also use a pretty ceramic bowl one of my children made in art class there on the window sill to throw all the loose change and buttons, etc. that end up in the bottom of the washer or dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment